June 1, 2011

A Live Debate (mach 2)

Like most people having their two bobs worth on the issue at the moment, I am no expert on the live trade. I have, however spent a number of years working in pastoral areas of  Western Australia as a rural journalist, and along the way I have formed an opinion or two. I am also married to a live exporter and my in-laws farm beef.

I have been trying to bite my tongue and ignore the comments by both friends and strangers calling for a total ban on live export since Four Corners broadcast A Bloody Business on Monday night.

But remaining balanced and without an opinion at work is one thing. It's the right thing, and I respect my position and would never and have never expressed a view or opinion about anything other than my football team.

But it doesn't stop me wanting to defend the livelihood of my family and friends "out of hours."

The footage on Four Corners on Monday night was disgraceful. Two days on I still haven't been able to watch the entire program. (Although it should be said I'm a bit soft when it comes to seeing roos shot and chooks beheaded too.)

The subsequent decision by the federal government to block trade to 11 abattoirs was the right decision. However I totally disagree with calls to completely banning the export of cattle from Australia to Indonesia.

Why? Because banning the live trade will do NOTHING to address animal cruelty in Indonesia. Surely those of you calling for a ban on the live trade are concerned about the plight of animals of every race and religion? Not just Australian animals?

If Australia stops exporting to Indonesia, that country will simply source live cattle elsewhere. This week the the Indonesian government has confirmed it is not interested in taking any more chilled boxed meat from Australia.

The only impact a total ban on live trade will have, will be to decimate the Australian cattle industry (not just those involved in live export) and the many thousands of people, families and communities that make a living from farming cattle.

I personally feel that Livecorp and MLA have a massive case to answer. There job is to prevent cruelty to Australian animals in Indonesia. They have failed. There needs to be a total overhaul of management, auditing and inspection of all facilities in Indonesia.

And those that don’t comply need to be shut out of the Australian market immediately. Without question.

However I believe that what was broadcast on Four Corners this week is a minority practice in Indonesia. It’s a minority practice because Australia has been working there for years teaching Indonesians how to kill cattle in a way that is acceptable to those of us living in the Western world.


It's simply not newsworthy to broadcast images of the clean abattoirs where they kill animals using Western methods and meet Western standards.

Without Australians working in Indonesia, chipping away slowly but surely with education and resources, the cruelty towards animals will NEVER end.

It is a very difficult task and one that Australia has a moral obligation to continue.

Have you been to Bali for a holiday? When you see how the Indonesians treat their own people, you can see how hard it is to change their mindset in regard to animals. But terrific work is being done and real, measurable progress has been made.

You call the Live Trade shameful? I believe to simply walk away from Indonesia and wash our hands of their animal welfare issues would be shameful.

And it’s worth making the distinction- live exporting, putting animals on boats to Indonesia is not the problem. The problem lies in some abattoirs, not the actual process of exporting the cattle.

I feel that it would be a complete disaster if the atrocious actions of a minority were to result in the whole industry being wiped out. We don’t sack entire police forces because of a handful of corrupt coppers; we don’t ban the entire church because of a handful of perverted priests.

Oh and one more thing. Those of you who have now given up eating meat because of what you saw on Four Corners? You’re simply depriving yourselves of one of the joys in life. The only thing that forgoing that juicy steak will impact is your protein level. You won’t influence the live trade or the Indonesian industry in any way shape or form.

10 comments:

  1. well said Kate! I agree totally, Cheers Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting slant Kate... I am a beef producer in the Sth West Western Australia and have been a long time supporter of the live export industry, supplying my cattle to the Indonesian trade annually. I have also worked in the live export industry back grounding and protocol-ling cattle for Live export to China, Mexico and the Middle East. For years I have been defending the trade to non farming friends and farming friends abroad.

    After seeing the 4 Corners segment of "its a Bloody Business". I was shocked, sickened and angered. I had to take breaks and follow up viewing when I could online. For the first time in my life I have seen and talked to farmers in tears and so outraged by what was seen. Yes it is "supposedly" a minority of abattoirs that have practices in place of such barbaric cruelty. Tho the number of identified abattoirs has increased and may still do... In any number it is totally unaceptable!!!

    I know how important the export trade is to the Australian Livestock industry and our northern cattle breeders are almost totally dependent on it. It has been an important part of my income. Animal welfare is our responsibility from the beginning of life until the end. The MLA and LiveCorp were our industry representatives. The 2 bodies failed us in an unimaginable way and brought us to the focus of the world stage for some of the worst possible reasons. Animal cruelty and torture can not and will not be tolerated by me as a farmer or by the every day householder and consumer... The 2 greatest threats to our livelihood are rising costs of production that has us often producing a product for a cost that exceeds the gross sale price. The other is animal welfare and public perception. We took a deathly blow this week. AND the animals bred and cared for by us took a very sickening, tragic and torturous lingering death as a result! The later will stay with me forever!!! I hope the future for live export is positive. BUT, I will not be making any of my cattle available for the Indonesian Live Export trade. 200 000 Timorese murdered. Approx 250 000 Natives of Irian Jaya missing under Indonesian rule. Wildlife extinction and habitat destruction that defies belief. A trade in people smuggling that is a major nationwide business. Home bred terrorism that has deliberated targeted and brought murderous death to our own people. All this in my life time! Then the political games played by Indonesia in lowering the weight specification for live cattle export as of last year. I no longer trust the MLA and LiveCorp to do the job they were suppose to have done all along. I no longer trust the Indonesian Government or Indonesian based Live Export Industry to self regulate and police its own industry. Action is needed immediately and in total. Not in a months time or a years time, or to be initiated over time. It must be immediate, in full and it must be seen globally, for the world to accept our industry again with any faith and we must have the confidence in it... Unless this happens, we will lose public and political support and turn them against us. We will lose our export industry in total, not just to Indonesia...

    The ramifications of the animal cruelty the world has witnessed will affect much more than just the live export industry! I will not be allowing my cattle to be available to the Indonesian market and be victims of Indonesias education process in animal ethics. They are not just a livelihood to me, I respect them. I will work a 3rd job rather than be a part of that! Indonesian processors have proven they can operate ethically and state of the art. However there are groups within who do not and they have blatantly flaunted it.Tthis in any amount no matter how small is unacceptable. Our animals deserve better from us! When the Indonesian system as a whole have proven that what we have just seen will never happen again, maybe then I will reconsider supporting the industry with my livestock...

    Regards from Sth West WA...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree 100% with what you have said - well done!
    Now we just need the city slickers to understand there is another side to this argument before they totally write off live export.
    We all want to protect our beautiful animals from this brutality.

    Frankland farmer x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sth West WA - from one farmer to another, you have said what I could not put into words so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great post Kate. I am glad you decided to publicly add your opinion to the debate. I found it interesting, relevant and thought provoking. However personally I agree more with the comments posted by the Sth West WA Farmer.

    I too am a cattle producer with no other source of income for my family so I think it is important to add a comment to the discussion. I feel absolutely disgusted with MLA and Livecorp, I think they have shamed our industry beyond belief and have absolutely failed to represent the interest and values of the Australian Cattle Industry by continuing to endorse trade to those markets. I dont think there is ever any justification for that sort of treatment to even one animal, which I know we all agree on.

    At this point in time I support a gradual phase-out of live export. It seems to me that there have been years and years of cruelty tolerated and every now and then the media shines a spotlight on it and it causes a huge reaction & rightly so. I really think it is up to Australia to set a precedent for animal welfare and export only high quality chilled meat.

    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If live export is to continue I really think the onus should be on them to prove that they can meet globally accepted levels of animal welfare, not us to 'encourage' it in a country we have no rights in.

    As for the comments in regard to the continued cruelty of animals over there, I dont have the answers I'm sorry - but I think it is appalling and hypocritical to stand here with the cash in our hands and say 'we are trying' when we have all seen the progress to date...

    Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

    SE QLD Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate - Sth West WA here. Thanks for the opportunity to comment, I do understand your view point. Thank you to SE QLD farmer, Anonymous and Frankland farmer. We are all on the same page with this tragic issue. I sure wish comment was over a much more pleasant topic...

    Today's papers [The Farm Weekly, The West Australian and The Sydney Morning Herald] have shown that the extent of long term prior knowledge, ignorance [maybe arrogance too], ineptness and cover ups over this tragic issue involving the MLA, Live Corp and the Federal Govt runs deeper and is not just disgraceful, but in my mind - criminal!

    cheers to better days...

    Cam...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sal - Wheatbelt RegionJune 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM

    Thanks for valuable thoughts and considerations Kate and other producers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Kate. You have voiced my own opinions. The cruelty in many countries will not stop because we don't send our animals there. The people in these countries need to have their traditions and practices changed. How? by people going in there and educating them. Perhaps the animal organisations, ie Peta, Animals Australia, etc could put some of their funds into educating these countries instead of continually guilt tripping nations with consciouses. Anthea

    ReplyDelete
  9. To south west WA - i agree with a lot of what you said and admire you aren't going to supply any catle to indonesia, I often wish we could do the same thing - as a breeder of cattle and watching these animals grow up and spend time looking after them - the 4 cornes show was very confronting and very heart-breaking.
    However i am assuming you have access to other markets or able to just keep your cattle as pets(not meant sarcastically) . We have a station in the Kimberley and we have no other option other than to send our cattle to indonesia. If we refused to send them there, apart from the loss of income and having to literally walk away from our land that would be worth nothing...what would happen to all these cattle up here? There would be no income to pump water for them or to provide additional feed as stations would become overstocked, numbers will breed up as they cant be sold.Abattoirs are too far away.(many reasons why there arent abattoirs here now) I keep asking eveyone - what about their welfare? What will happen to them? I cant see any of these politicians or morally superior people who are patting themselves on the back, chipping in many $$$. I prefer to talk in person than write as words can often come across the wrong way - so for what its worth, I totally respect what you have said and we are on the "same side". I just hope that people really think this all through properly.
    (PS in brieft (this is getting rather long) I havent touched on biosecurity issues such as other countries coming in after us with foot&mouth - our shores arent that far away. OR that us not having a presence in indo will not help any cattle that go there in our place as other countries dont have the same standards -.)
    Kirsty Forshaw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well said kate. maybe the shiney pants from the mla should be re trained as slaughter men,and sent over to do the job properly.i work on a victorian grazeing property, the total ban will afect southerners aswell.i don't want to loose a job i love.australians should be sent over imeadiatly to do the job those savages can't.

    ReplyDelete